Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hallstatt



There are moments in your life where your breath is literally taken away by beauty and Hallstatt was one of those places for me. Hallstatt is a small village built on the side of a mountain, with a lake at the bottom. Our pictures do not do justice to the beauty. This is a picture of the guest house we stayed in. It was at the foot of a mountain that contains the oldest salt mine in the world. We were lucky enough to get to go on a tour. To get to the salt mine we had to ride a funicular and then it was still about a 10 minute walk on up from there

To tour the salt mine we had to don these lovely outfits. I'm not really that fat....it was very cold in the mine and we were told to wear our coats under these suits!


View of Hallstatt from the Salt Mine.

When Hallstatt is mentioned, our students and Holmans will say, "That's the best food we've eaten on our entire Austria experience!" I got the special that was listed here....yum! It also didn't hurt that we ate it outside next to the lake!



Like I said, the houses just climb up the hill.


Check out this tree, pretty amazing isn't it?


As you walk along, you are really close to the homes. This particular home was next to the stairs we were climbing. I noticed that the address said a professor lived there...I wouldn't trade "my professor", but this professor did have a cute home!


It was hard to say good-bye to Hallstatt...the weather was perfect....the food was delish....and the scenery was spectacular. My professor looking over the village.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am completely green with envy! Won't even try to hide my jealousy. What a great experience you are having. Love the tree against the buildingl