Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Salzburg

Welcome to Salzburg! We were able to spend 3 days getting to know this medieval city. Our weather was rainy for a couple of the days but it did not dampen our spirits. Salzburg was crawling with tourists and having a festival and a funeral of an important member of the Catholic clergy only added to the conjestion...but it was worth every bumped shoulder and stepped on foot. I guess the bike ride I had taken just a couple of weeks before was still on my mind and I had to have a picture with this sculpture.
I had Tom take this picture just because of the size of this shop...the shops entire width was the entry width, which according to this picture was about the same as my width.
Here I am at the platz with a festival going on behind me...but ignore that part of the picture and notice the Hohensalzburg Fortess on the hill behind me. It was built on a rock 400 feet above the river but it was never used...nobody ever attacted the town! The guide book says, "Today, it remains one of Europe's mightiest castles". We jumped on a funicular and made the trip to the castle and the views were fantastic. A view of Salzburg from the castle.


It's hard to imagine how large this fortess was. It seemed to just go on forever.


Another view....check out how many church domes you can see in this picture.
If you are a "Sound of Music" fan, some of these shots should look familiar to you. This one is taken in the Mirabell gardens. The fountain and the steps behind it are in the movie.This was not the cemetary in the movie, that one was a set, but this is where the idea came from.

I really wanted Tom to do a better pose here but he refused...he could of at least taken off his shirt!
Yet another cemetary, remember I told you I had a fascination with cemetaries. This cemetary is called St. Sebastians. This is an interior shot of a small chapel that is in its center. It only has a small alter and it was locked so we could only point and shoot through an iron grill, but I hope you can see the mosaic tile work...beautiful. The cemetary was surrounded by this walk way. Along the sides are family burial areas. Some even have oil paintings on the wall.

Mozart is not buried here but his wife and father were.


Isn't it beautiful?! It was very peaceful, Tom and I were the only people there...kinda nice to get away from the tourist...oh wait...that's what we are!


Can't visit Salzburg without the "Mozart lived here" tour. The yellow house was where Mozart was born...the best part was, there is now an ice cream shop on the street level which was actually more interesting than the tour of his birthplace

The pink building in the background was the home Mozart moved into when he was 17, and is called Mozart's Residence.......the Mozart family put on concerts here to entertain Salzburg's high society.
One night Tom and I attended a marionette show...this particular night it was "The Sound of Music". This theater has been producing marionette shows for over a hundred years. It was absolutly amazing. We attended another marionette show here in Vienna and it didn't touch what they could do at this theater.

While we were in Salzburg there was a big festival going on...we were never sure what it was for but everyone was dressed up in their traditional costumes and of course listened to their favorite "umpa" band and ate the traditional food in the beer garten. Here I am waiting for Herr Holman to bring me some food. My mom would of loved the music...she would of been tapping her toes to those polka tunes.
Worth the wait...can it get better than wurst, saurkraut, roll and Coke....OK, in my opinion it can...same menu but without the wurst!

Tom and I got tired of crowds and decided to venture out away from the tourist sights. It wasn't such a bad idea. This is a sign we found on a house. Joseph Mohr wrote, "Silent Night" and this is where he was born. As you can tell, we really were "off the beaten path"....loved every minute of it!




The days in Salzburg made good memories, but there were more good times to be had in Vienna, so we packed our bags and headed home.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I laughed about your fascination with cemetaries. I have the same fascination, Ken doesn't understand it, but humors me and follows along. We went through quite a few in New England, but to see those in Europe would be even better. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.