Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Biking: Melk to Krems

Part of our "Vienna experience" included a bike ride from Melk to Krems. Now I haven't been on a bike in 40 years but I was told it was either flat or down hill...I could do that! Well, they lied. It was mostly flat and downhill but there was a bit of up hill too. This picture must of been taken at the first of the trip...how do I know? I was smiling! The ride was along the Danube River and it was approx 20-25 miles. I thought I was doing OK until I stopped the first time, hopped off my bike and my rubbery legs gave out on me and I fell over, with my bike on top of me. Now that's embarrassing to fall and not even be on the bike.
The scenery along the Danube was spectacular. I look back at pictures like this one and can hardly believe it's real! The trail we were on took us through scenic little villages and on through vineyards. The grapes vines were loaded with plump grapes ready to be harvested.

At one point in our trip we had to cross from one side of the Danube to the other...so we loaded our bikes onto the ferry and got to sit down and rest our weary legs and rear ends! They can put a man on the moon...how come they can't make a comfortable bike seat!
The end of the trail, finally! Here is Tom casually sitting at the dock in Krems...he looks pretty calm and rested but I bet if you had asked him to stand up very fast, he couldn't! Our poor old legs had about had it. Was it beautiful...you bet! Would I do it again....no way!

1 comment:

Logg said...

Is anyone wondering why Dad is wearing a helmet in the second to last picture? I mean, I know they were riding bikes and all....but they're on a boat. Maybe it has something to do with the ferry's insurance and Dad being over 60.