Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fun with the brothers

I was absolutly thrilled to have my brothers and their wives join us in Vienna. It was fun for me to show them around the city I have learned to love. My only regret is that they came after we had only been here a month...now I have so many more places I would love to take them. We may have to plan a Vienna reunion and come again. You just can't have a visit to Vienna without a piece of Sacher Torte. There are copies in Vienna but we had the "real" torte at the Sacher Hotel. We sat out front and it was a bit chilly, so Tom even sprang for hot chocolate...yum!
I wanted you all to believe this was where we lived so I asked Jack, Sharalyne, Max and Cindy to be pointing to their room....but since I've published a post about our "real" house I can't lie! This is our trip to Schonbrunn Palace. We actually took the tour and had a fantastic guide. This was the summer palace of the Hapsburgs. It was only 5 miles out of Vienna but I guess it was worth it for the Hapsburgs to get away from the stink of the city. This is one of my favorite sites in Vienna.


I seem to have a thing about cemetaries and going to the Vienna Central Cemetary was on my list of places I wanted to take my brothers. The Vienna cemetary actually has an LDS area. This is the statue that marks it. On a side note, to get to the cemetary you have to take the #71 bus and I have been told that when someone dies they say, "They've taken the 71".

What a "happy" way to end a trip.....It doesn't get better than Happy Noodles, authentic street food. Oh I guess it can get better when you top it off with a gelato at the shop next to Happy Noodles!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Vienna has never been on my "bucket list" but seeing your pictures is convincing me that it deserves a place on my "must see" list. If for nothing else the sacher torte. I definitely have the Nicholls sweet tooth.